Why dog harnesses are awesome
Dog harnesses are a popular alternative to traditional collars for many dog parents. Before I got a dog, I didn't know much about harnesses. Now, I wouldn't walk my dog on anything except a harness! I'm going to tell you about the benefits of using a dog harness, and what features to look out for to find the perfect harness for your pooch.
Benefits of using a harness
Some of the benefits of using a dog harness are:
Better control: A harness offers better control over your dog's movements than a collar. It distributes pressure evenly across your dog's body, reducing the risk of injury to the neck and throat.
Prevents choking: Harnesses prevent choking and gagging, which can occur when a dog pulls on the leash with a collar.
Comfortable for your dog: Harnesses are more comfortable for your dog than collars, especially if your dog has a sensitive neck or throat.
Helps with training: Harnesses can be useful for training your dog, especially when used in conjunction with positive reinforcement techniques.
Key features to look for
Now that you're sold on harnesses, there are some key features you may want your dog's new harness to have:
- Adjustable straps: A good dog harness should have adjustable straps to ensure a proper fit for different breeds and sizes of dogs.
- Padding: The harness should have padding on the chest and back to provide comfort and prevent chafing or rubbing.
- Front and back attachment points: A harness may have a front attachment point on the chest or a back attachment point on the back. Both options are useful for different purposes, and some harnesses may have both.
- Reflective materials: Harnesses with reflective materials can help keep dogs visible in low light conditions, which is especially important for safety during walks at night.
- Handle: A handle on the back of the harness can give owners more control over their dog during walks or in situations where they need to be picked up or lifted.
- Durability: A good harness should be made of durable materials that can withstand wear and tear, especially for active dogs who may pull or run.
- Breathability: A breathable harness can help keep dogs cool and comfortable, especially during warm weather or strenuous activities