Fundraising for New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Trust (NZCR)
I want to tell you about something special we're doing for the 12 days of Christmas - we're having an auction each day to fundraise for New Zealand Chihuahua Rescue Trust (NZCR). NZCR is a Canterbury based, toy dog rescue specialising in chihuahuas and chihuahua crosses, though they operate through the entirety of New Zealand.
So what do NZCR do, and where do those funds go?
- Rescue chihuahuas from situations of neglect and abuse and place them in suitable foster care arrangements and eventually, permanent homes (adoption).
- Collect and re-home chihuahuas which are unclaimed from Council Pounds or Animal Shelters throughout New Zealand.
- Provide facilities and resources to assist in controlling the population of unwanted chihuahuas by de-sexing those placed in the Trust’s care.
- Raise funds for the benefit of chihuahuas (and toy breed dogs) in the care of the Trust, as required.
- Prevent, by education or other means, irresponsible breeding and ownership of the breed and educate the public as to how the breed should be best cared for, so that there are less chihuahuas surrendered to be re-homed.
- Take in other small or toy breed dogs when they have the capacity to do so. Recently NZCR rehomed a dachshund aka sausage dog!
Why does Sweet As Pup support NZCR?
In 2021 we adopted one handsome wee man from NZCR, Big Mac. Mac spent the first 11 years of his life travelling New Zealand in a motorhome with an elderly couple. After they were unable to care for him anymore due to age, Mac was surrendered to NZCR and we had the chance to meet the little guy when he was ready for adoption. Mac has become the companion to my Mum aka Nana Cathy as we call her around here! He is the perfect little mate and walking buddy for her, and is a hit at her weekly board games afternoon with her friends. We have seen personally the other side to the rehoming NZCR does. Not only does it give a dog a second chance at their furry life, but they become a companion and family member for the humans that adopt these little friends.
How can you help
There are so many ways you can help NZCR too. Whether that’s adopting or fostering a dog, donating your coffee money, or purchasing some goodies at their online store. You will also want to check out our 12 days of Christmas fundraising auctions, running from 1-12 December on the Sweet As Pup Instagram page. We have goodies for auctions from so many generous businesses, including Wigram Brewing, Bosch and Me, Fur Love, Oh My Fluffy Dog, Tu Meke Friend, Pooch and Me, Pup and Running, Jewel Designs, Living Light, and Distripet. With goodies like that, that’s your Christmas shopping done as well as a good turn!